Friday, July 31, 2009

Thelonious Monk Competition

I recorded with bassist Aaron Nebbia last night for his Thelonious Monk Competition entry. The competition is open to bassists under the age of 30. I am told it will be judged by Ron Carter, Dave Holland, John Pattitucci and Gary Peacock. Every year this competition features a different instrument. It's winners (and finalists) have gone on to lead very successful performance careers.

Aaron studied piano with me about five years ago, before making the switch to string bass. The progress he has made in such a short period of time is both astounding an inspiring. We recorded five tracks:

- "When Will The Blues Leave?", by Ornette Coleman
- "Loud Zee", by Jerry Bergonzi
- "Rhythm-a-ning", by Thelonious Monk
- "Whisper Not", by Benny Golson and
- "Misty", by Erroll Garner

Aaron played very well and I wouldn't be surprised if he was called for the next round. I wish him the best of luck.

1 comment:

  1. Could you send the lead sheet for When Will The Blues Leave to me?

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget