Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Memories and Nostalgia

This is the final installment of the UConn Jazz Nonet's spring semester project, "The Complete Rebirth of the Cool".  As I mentioned previously, we acquired the music from Jeff Presslaff, a pianist/composer/trombonist now based in Winnipeg, Canada - my hometown. Of the six composers represented, I know five personally, so memories and feelings of nostalgia were often awakened as we prepared the music.


Saxophonist Ken Gold wrote "Tango Para Rosalba".  He was one of the first professional musicians with whom I gigged.  For a summer we played on weekends in the courtyard of Basil's restaurant in Winnipeg's Osbourne Village.  I remember him saying, "You too will reach an age when you have forgotten more tunes than you have learned."  I suppose I'm there.

Tango Para Rosalba:



Lastly, here's "November Night" by Jon Stevens, whom I haven't had the pleasure of meeting.  It's one of my favorites on the album for its eerie quality, tight harmonies, pretty melodies and the very subtle incorporation of extended instrumental techniques.

November Night:



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget