Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Ultimate Jazz Sacrilege

Jackie's Bag by alto saxophonist, Jackie McLeanI admit it:  I have never been a big fan of Jackie McLean's music.  I simply couldn't get past his abrasive, shrill tone, and his intonation continues to drive me bonkers.

In saying this, I know I have just committed the ultimate jazz sacrilege in Connecticut.  The vast majority of Connecticut-based jazz musicians view Jackie as a deity of sorts.


 Despite my tastes and personal misgivings, it is easy to see Jackie McLean's significant, positive and lasting impact upon the Hartford jazz scene.   Founding Hartford's Artists Collective and the Hartt School’s jazz studies program are just the tip of the iceberg.  So many fine players emerged under his direction --- Jimmy Greene, Kris Allen, Wayne Escoffrey, Steve Davis, Lummie Spann, Josh Evans, Mike DiRubbo etc.  The list could go on and on.


In considering what repertoire the Hartford Jazz Society’s New Directions Ensemble will play, clearly I would be remiss to not include a tribute to Jackie.  I have gone through many of my old albums, trying to decide which of his songs to arrange. After a lot of listening, I have chosen “Appointment In Ghana” from the album, “Jackie’s Bag”.  Here is my transcription: 

sheet music for Appointment in Ghana by Jackie McLean

From an arranger’s standpoint, there is a lot of material within the piece with which to work and develop --- the most obvious being the “hits” and the alternation between solo voice and ensemble. I’m looking forward to orchestrating it for the 10-piece ensemble. In a future update I will outline my approach to arranging it.

As a side note:  Several of Jackie’s other tunes also captured my imagination, and they too may make it into the ensemble’s book at some point.  These include the beautiful ballad, “For Hofsa” and “The Collective Expression” from “Rhythm of the Earth”, and “Melody for Melonae” from “Let Freedom Ring”.


No comments:

Post a Comment