Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lessons From A Street-Wise Professor

I just finished Ramon Ricker’s new book, “Lessons From A Street-Wise Professor: What You Won’t Learn at Most Music Schools”.   As I read it, I kept thinking, “if only this book had been written 20 years ago, when I was cutting my teeth as a young musician.”  (I certainly made my fair share of professional blunders coming out of school, despite having several caring mentors to guide and correct me.)  Ricker covers a very broad array of topics including tax tips, etiquette, career planning, time management, and the ins and outs of musical entrepreneurship.
I highly recommend this book for any young, aspiring, student musician.  Even for those of us who have been around the block a few times there are golden tidbits of information.  The section outlining the career paths of five, selected, successful musicians was especially informative.  I found the story of Jeff Tyzik’s career journey to be especially interesting and inspiring.  It certainly and got my wheels turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment