Sunday, May 20, 2012

Being Human

I have a confession to make.  I didn't make it into the practice room on Saturday.  In the morning I took my son to skateboarding camp and all afternoon we had a garage sale.  After "holding it together" all day, my 6-year-old son finally "lost it", having an evening meltdown of epic proportions.  It rendered my wife and me frazzled and exhausted.  I suppose I could have been ultra disciplined and dragged myself into the practice studio afterwards, but drinking a glass of wine and unwinding with my wife seemed much more appropriate.

I got back at it this afternoon, following church.  I'm pleased to say that I can now play the four patterns through the matrix, in 12 keys, without faltering.  The melody for 26-2 is also memorized, and I can get through 26-2 and Countdown, albeit at slower tempos.

Before going any further, I have been remiss in not sharing the original Coltrane recording of "26-2" from the album "Coltrane's Sound".  It is one of my favorite recordings of all time.  Elvin Jones' drumming just makes me want to get up and dance.


It's now time to change up my routine.  This week I will add 6 new patterns and will reduce the time per pattern to 5 minutes, as I will no longer need to use this exercise to learn the progression.

Monday's routine will look like this:
  • Pattern 5:       5 minutes
  • Pattern 6:       5 minutes
  • Satellite:        15 minutes
    • head, application of patterns, improv, experimentation
  • Pattern 7:        5 minutes
  • Pattern 8:        5 minutes
  • But Not For Me: 15 minutes
    • head, application of patterns, improv, experimentation
  • Pattern 9:        5 minutes
  • Pattern 10:      5 minutes
  • 26-2:               15 minutes
    • head, application of patterns, improv, experimentation


No comments:

Post a Comment