Tuesday, February 7, 2012

30 Songs In 30 Days - Day 7

Keith Jarrett's "Bop Be" came to mind as a beautiful example of a contrafact melody over bop changes (Charlie Parker's "Confirmation"), where the melody wasn't overtly "bebop-ish" in nature.  I tried to capture that essence over a bird blues progression.  I left some breathing room in measures 7 and 8 and structured the melody so the apex appears near the end.

The playful, lightheartedness of this song made me think of my 3-year-old daughter, Stella, who often expresses her creative, improvisational spirit in a variety of ways, including her own expressive, carefree way of walking.



______________________________

It feels good to have successfully completed the first week of my "30 songs in 30 days" challenge. I look forward to round two.

No comments:

Post a Comment