Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lovers' Quarrel

To evoke some romance on Valentine's Day, today's blues is a waltz.  This is a 24-bar blues in D flat, created by doubling the harmonic rhythm.  I also superimposed a cycle of secondary dominants at the top of the form to take us to the IV chord in measure nine.

Thankfully, this one practically wrote itself.  (It was conceived and notated in just under an hour.) I say "thankfully" because for the remainder of today I will be adjudicating high school and middle school bands at the Manchester High School Jazz Festival.  Although I enjoy doing this, I know I'll be craving silence and avoiding music at all costs when I get home tonight. After eight hours of intense listening, I'll have reached my saturation point.

Happy Valentines Day everyone!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, I will try to play that in my guitar. It is very interesting cords.

    ReplyDelete