Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ad Nauseam

Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" was the inspiration for today's blues.  It has a 16-measure, extended blues form.  I imagine this one played with a boogaloo feel, reminiscent of Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder".

A simple, 3-note motif was used exclusively, to provide cohesion.  I tried to move it around rhythmically to keep it from becoming tiresome and annoying.  To be honest, I question if I succeeded.  Moving the motif around between a few different instruments might also help.  (This explains why some stems in measures 3, 4 and 12 are pointing downwards.)




Tomorrow night (Feb. 13th, 2012) my band, the New Directions Ensemble plays in Brooklyn, New York at the Tea Lounge Cafe:  837 Union Street.  If you're in the city, I hope you will stop by, give us a listen, and say hello.  We start at 9 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment