Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shows in CT

Mark your calendars!  I have several upcoming shows to announce. 

Sunday, July 22, 2012,  3 p.m.
$20, students $10
the NEW EARL MACDONALD TRIO
Brenton Evans Piano Showroom
963 State Street
- New Haven.

I will be unveiling my new trio featuring string bassist Henry Lugo and drummer Ben Bilello. Come early to browse the adjacent art gallery. Or choose to dine in one of the many restaurants in New Haven's creative district. Then savor the ambiance of jazz in the piano showroom, as my new trio performs fresh interpretations of classic American Songbook repertoire, pieces by renowned jazz composers and original works. Please RSVP to brent@evanspiano.com as seating is limited. Additional information is posted at www.earlmacdonald.com.


Monday, August 13, 2012- 7:00 p.m.
the Hartford Jazz Society's "New Directions Ensemble"
Bushnell Park, Hartford, CT

The 10-piece New Directions Ensemble plays for the third consecutive year at the Monday Night Jazz in the Park summer series. 

A picnic basket, a bottle of wine, you and your date or a big group of friends and your dog... it doesn't get much better.  Sit up close if you're there for the music. Grab a spot further back or over by the Corning Fountain if you're interested in sitting on a blanket while the sun sets and the stars come out, relaxing and having dinner set to our swingin' musical backdrop.  Rain venue: Asylum Hill Congregational Church

The Hartford Jazz Society's “New Directions Ensemble” was recently voted “best jazz group in Hartford” by the readers of the Hartford Advocate. The band has been described as “set to swing in its own fresh way, generating contemporary band music that lives in the present --- independent, cliché-free and untethered to conventional big band nostalgia”.


Jazz at Lu's Cafe:
Starting in the fall, I will be hosting a weekly jazz series at Lu's Cafe on the UConn Storrs campus.  There will be an acoustic piano, supplied by the Department of Music.  We are in the the process of deciding what night of the week will be best.  Let me know if you have an opinion. 

It will be nice to have a regular place to play with my students.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what Lu's is, but I know that the semester we had a weekly jam at COJones was when I really learned to experiment, listen, learn, and play, thanks in large part to playing with guys who were way ahead of me. Great to hear the next generation will have that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about it Tim. This is a great opportunity for students to apply what they've learned in lessons and the classroom. Plus it will help to build a sense of community that I feel has been lacking as of late.

    Selfishly, I'm also looking forward to playing more and keeping my own chops up.

    ReplyDelete