Thursday, November 29, 2012

'Tis The Season ...almost

Tonight marks my first holiday season gig of the year.  I'm playing with my Jazz for Joy Quintet at Hartford's Wadsworth Atheneum for the annual Festival of Trees and Traditions event from 6 - 9 p.m.  Tickets are $85 or $75 for Members, and can be reserved at (860) 838-4100.  All profits from this event help fund the museum’s special exhibitions, educational programs, and operating expenses.

Then on Saturday, I'm giving a concert at UConn's von der Mehden Recital Hall at 3 p.m.  Billed as "Yule Be Swingin", the show will feature five of my top students, joined by me.  Admission is free but a collection will be taken for W.A.I.M. (the Windham Area Interfaith Mission) to help local individuals and families in dire circumstances.


There are also a couple of private parties on my calendar, so I will get plenty of use from my collection of seasonal jazz music this year.  As I have often done in previous years, I am including one outstanding UConn jazz student on each of these professional outings, to give them the experience of working with a professional band.  Saxophonist Colin Walters and bassist Nick Trautmann have been given the music in advance and through their demonstrated hard work for me, and the progress they have made, I believe they truly deserve this opportunity.

I hope to see you at the Yule Be Swingin' concert on Saturday.  It will be fun for the whole family --- and even Santa has committed to being there! Happy Holidays everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment